Monday, November 11, 2013

Video Card Bench-marking (Debian / Mint / Ubuntu / Arch / Manjaro)

Now that one of my rigs kicked it I have a fair amount of spare equipment kicking around that I need to benchmark against what I currently have installed in some old rigs.  Moreover, I fear that on some systems, the built-in motherboard graphics might actually be faster than the AGP cards I have installed because I only installed them to have S-video out or video capture. 

I've been trying do document all my cards with my cell camera, but I quickly forget which one is ins which machine,  so the executing the following at the command line  will print out relevant rendering info:

glxinfo | grep render

Unfortunately, the above command only work for kernels 3.6 or newer and Arch uses 3.4 so if you haven't upgraded your kernel, you'll need to dig through the results of the following:

lspci 
Next, many distros (especially Debian based ones) come with glxgears installed which can give you a rough measure of preform-ace in fps, but it may be tied to monitor settings, so it's just a good first quick test:

glxgears

In theory these are better bench mark packages, glmark2 glmark2-es2 chromium-bsu, gltron. But glmark packages had canvas errors, and the last two packages are games that don't automatically spit out the fps.  Moreover, I had a lot of installation / execution issues across platforms with these, so no promises here.

Specific Issues:
GeForce FX 5200: Installing NVidia propriety driver 96 and 173 and 310 under Bodhi Linux failed
  • resolution to drop to an unusable size
  • xorg.conf is deprecated and thus install guides to edit it aren't helpful
  • removing the driver and any xorg.conf and reinstalling nvidia-common restores graphics
  • 310 shouldn't work, but jockey recommends it after 173 has been installed.

Quadro2 Pro: There are conflicting reports of which driver works for this card; I've seen NVidias readmens say 173, 96, and 73.  I've yet to try 73.



No comments:

Post a Comment